乾貨丨課本上學不到的26句地道英文俚語
很多時候,我們看到老外們日常對話中的詞彙都非常簡單,但我們自己卻打死也想不到原來還有這種操作,居然可以這樣排列組合啊!掌握這些地道的英語表達,連老外可能都會對你的英語刮目相看喲✨
1
Act your age!
中文意思:表現成熟些,不要孩子氣
英文釋義:act more maturely; don't be childish(可指任何人)
舉個栗子🌰
His father told his 15-year-old son ,“Act you age!”
他老爸對他十五歲的兒子說:「表現成熟點,不要孩子氣。」
2
All is not lost.
中文意思:事情不是真正不好;未必完全失敗
英文釋義:Things are not really bad or totally failed
舉個栗子🌰
Don't get discouraged; all is not lost.
不要泄氣,事情未必真正不好。
3
Be that as it may.
中文意思:即使那是真的/事實
英文釋義:even if it may be true
舉個栗子🌰
I will not believe what she has said, be that as it may.
我不相信她所說的,即使她所說的都是事實。
4
Believe you me.
中文意思:請相信我,我的話是真的
英文釋義:believe what I said; really true(上句you,只是加強語氣= you believe me.)
舉個栗子🌰
I have done my part as an employee; believe you me!
我已經做到一位員工該做的事;相信我的話是真的。
5
Cut to the chase.
中文意思:做些正經事/重要的事
英文釋義:to do some important things; get to the real business.
舉兩個栗子🌰🌰
①Instead of wasting time, tell them to cut the chase.
告訴他們不要浪費時間,做些正經重要的事。
②I feel we have not been cutting to the chase enough in our discussion.
我覺得我們的討論,沒有足夠涉及正經重要的事。
6
Don't hold your breath.
中文意思:對某事需要耐心等待,不要沉不住氣
英文釋義:be patient; it will take longer time(多半隻用在否定句)
舉個栗子🌰
If you ask Bob to do something for you soon, don't hold your breath.
假如你要Bob爲你很快辦好什麼事,你要有耐心。
7
Easier said than done
中文意思:說起來容易做起來難
舉個栗子🌰
You want me to come to work at 6:00 AM? Easier said than done!
想讓我6點就開工?說得容易!
8
24/7
中文意思:一天二十四小時;一週七天;一直;持續地
舉個栗子🌰
My little sister irritates me 24/7!
我的小妹妹整天都在惹我生氣!
9
A short fuse
中文意思:急性子
舉個栗子🌰
Jamie is known for his short fuse; just a few days ago he screamed at his coach for not letting him play.
傑米真是個急性子;幾天前他就跟教練嚷嚷着說不要讓他上場了。
10
Butterflies in my stomach
中文意思:(胃裏有蝴蝶在撲閃翅膀一般)緊張
舉個栗子🌰
Liam had butterflies in his stomach before he went on stage to play the violin.
利亞姆在上臺演奏小提琴時非常緊張。
11
By the skin of your teeth
中文意思:勉強做成某事
舉個栗子🌰
Lester made the dance team by the skin of his teeth; you can tell he hasn't been dancing jazz for very long.
萊斯特勉強組成了舞蹈隊;你可以看出來他已經好久沒跳爵士了。
12
Cat got your tongue?
中文意思:怎麼不說話了?(通常說出來是爲了讓對方難堪)
舉個栗子🌰
I just saw you kissing my boyfriend. What's the matter? Cat got your tongue?
我剛纔看見你親了我男朋友。怎麼回事?你怎麼不吭聲了?
13
Crying wolf
中文意思:假意求救
舉個栗子🌰
You have cried wolf so many times that no one believes you when you're really hurt.
你已經玩了這麼多次“狼來了”的把戲,沒人會相信你是真的受傷了。
14
Cut someone some slack
中文意思:放某人一馬
舉個栗子🌰
Hey. Cut me some slack. I was really busy with my frog hunting business last week and forgot to call. I'm sorry!
嘿,放我一馬吧。上個星期我真的是忙着捉青蛙了,忘了給你打電話。對不起嘛!
15
Down for the count
中文意思:疲勞的;放棄;不願再參與
舉個栗子🌰
No, you can't take my dog for a walk – she's down for the count after chasing cats all day.
不,你不能遛我的狗。——她追了那幾只貓一天,已經累壞了。
16
A taste of your own medicine
中文意思:如果對別人使壞,那麼自己理所當然地也要嚐嚐相同的滋味
舉個栗子🌰
After constantly being prank-called, Julian decided to give Juan a taste of his own medicine and ordered twenty-seven pizzas to be delivered to Juan's house.
在多次被捉弄後,朱利安決定也要讓胡安嚐嚐同樣的滋味,就訂了27塊披薩送到胡安的家裏。
17
In the fast lane
中文意思:繁忙刺激的人生
舉個栗子🌰
When Curtis turned forty, he decided he needed to live life in the fast lane, so he quit his job as a dentist and decided to tour Europe by motorcycle.
當柯蒂斯四十歲的時候,他決心過刺激的人生,所以他辭去了牙醫的工作,決定騎摩托車環遊歐洲。
18
Draw the line
中文意思:停止;判定好壞的分界線
舉個栗子🌰
Now I draw the line at speaking in front of 34,000 people.
現在我結束了在34000人前的講話。
19
Every cloud has a silver lining
中文意思:烏雲中的幸福線(困境中總會發現轉機)
舉個栗子🌰
Even though you just got fired, remember that every cloud has a silver lining – at least you don’t have to work for that grouchy boss anymore!
即使你被解僱了,你也要記住,柳暗花明又一村。至少你再也不用爲那個壞脾氣的老闆工作了!
20
Finding a needle in a haystack
中文意思:根本找不到
舉個栗子🌰
Trying to get a new job these days is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
這些天找份新工作真是不可能的事。
21
Fish out of water
中文意思:不得其所,格格不入
舉個栗子🌰
Tom felt like a fish out of water at the Star Trek convention his new girlfriend begged him to attend.
湯姆的新女友央求他去《星際迷航》的影迷會,這讓他感到渾身不自在。
22
Get something off your chest
中文意思:說出困擾了你很久的事;承認你做錯了某事
舉個栗子🌰
I have to get this off my chest – I copied your answers on the Redesigned SAT. Thanks for the 15th percentile score, by the way.
我得承認,在入學考試時我抄了你的答案。順便感謝你讓我進了前15%。
23
Give it a whirl
中文意思:嘗試做某事
舉個栗子🌰
I've never gone kite-boarding, but I’m prepared to give it a whirl!
我從沒玩過風箏衝浪,但我準備嘗試一下!
24
Go down in flames
中文意思:在衆人面前失敗
舉個栗子🌰
The football player's career went down in flames after the media learned he'd been heavily in gambling debts.
在被媒體爆出身負賭債後,這名足球選手的事業一落千丈。
25
Go the extra mile
中文意思:加倍努力
舉個栗子🌰
My dentist always goes the extra mile, offering free back massages at the end of a stressful tooth extraction.
我的牙醫總是非常盡心,會在令人緊張的拔牙後給病人按摩。
26
Hang in there
中文意思:有耐心,堅持下去
舉個栗子🌰
I know you're struggling right now in school, but just hang in there. It'll get easier. I promise.
我知道你現在在學校裏的日子不好過,但你要堅持下去。一切都會好起來的,我保證。
好了,今天的分享就到這裏啦
點個“在看”支持以下Frank吧,謝謝
掃描下方二維碼關注
免費學英語口語